health & safety
Safety is of utmost importance in rowing. All precautions are taken to ensure the safety of all rowers.
- Please ensure you have informed the coach of relevant health or medical history.
- All rowers will be supervised by coaches or persons whilst on the water and also during land based sessions.
- Pay attention to any safety notices as advised by Club Captain. Always check the Whiteboard, the River Hazards Map and the general weather conditions before going on the water.
- Certified personal floatation devices (PFDs) must be worn at all times by coaches, persons in support vessels, coxswains and open water rowers (rowers more than 1500m from shore or bank)
- Any rower that is training in unsheltered waters without a support vessel supervising them must carry on board an easily accessible approved floatation belt.
- Rowers should familiarize themselves with the Rowing New Zealand Water Safety Code https://www.rowingnz.kiwi/Story?Action=View&Story_id=337